Friday 7 March 2014

MY FAVOURITE CHELTENHAM MEMORIES

As Cheltenham is on the horizon, I thought I'd take the opportunity to write about my 5 best Cheltenham memories. There are many great events to choose from; I've chosen the moments that are closest to me.
Some of my favourite Cheltenham memories in picture form.





5. CUE CARD- Ryanair Chase 2013

First up is Cue Card's demolition job in 2013's Ryanair Chase. In what was a decent renewal, he hardly put a foot wrong, jumping his rivals into submission. Always in the front rank, he never really looked like being headed, romping home to a 9 length victory over First Lieutenant. It is a massive shame he will be absent not only from the Festival this year but from the whole of the season.

4. FIRST LIEUTENANT- Neptune Investment Management Novices' Hurdle 2011

In what was one of the best races I've ever seen, First Lieutenant beat future Champion Hurdle winner Rock on Ruby by the smallest of margins. Not forgetting the other competitors, which included So Young, Oscars Well and Minella Class, this race was packed full of quality. The race itself was pulsating. The amount of horses with a chance going into the straight, the final flight blunder from Oscars Well and the photo finish all made for an enthralling yet intriguing race.

3. SOLWHIT- World Hurdle 2013

Although the race had a little bit of its gloss taken off due to the absence of four time winner of the race Big Buck's, there still needed to be a winner. Solwhit was the horse to do this. Under a beautifully judged ride by Paul Carberry, Solwhit won fairly comfortably, although he was possibly aided by a final flight error from Celestial Halo. Nevertheless, Solwhit was a worthy winner and he is another horse who will be sorely missed at the Festival this year.

2. CHAMPAGNE FEVER- Supreme Novices' Hurdle 2013

It's always nice to kick start the week with a winner and Champagne Fever supplied this at last year's festival. The race synonymous with the Cheltenham roar, the winner was given a roaring ride by Ruby Walsh. He led from the front all the way and used the horse's battling qualities to beat the hotly fancied My Tent or Yours in a battle up the hill. A brilliant ride in what was a scintillating race.

1. SIZING AUSTRALIA- Glenfarclas Cross Country Chase 2011

In what may seem an odd choice, Sizing Australia's win in this race will always hold a place close to my heart. He provided me with my first ever Cheltenham Festival winner, so to those who do not deem this a proper race, I simply have to disagree with. Memories of me screaming him home over the unique fences, urging him over the leafy final flight, fending off the challenge from his competitors in the last few yards will live long in my memory. A great race, won by a horse who became one of my favourite's in training.


Hoping that 2014 supplies some more great memories to not just me but to everybody out there, maybe even if you don't usually watch horse racing; give Cheltenham a viewing and you will not regret it. You too might obtain some wonderful memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment